Monday, October 13, 2014

1980's Montreal Expos Home Jersey


This has been my go to Wallach jersey for about three and half years now.  I bought it after my previous one was signed by Mr. Wallach at a Spring Training game.  It didn't occur to me to post it as part of my collection at the time.  But a few things have changed my thinking on jerseys as collectibles.  For one, I have more of them now.  And as I've acquired more, I've decided that I like them, and want more .  Also perhaps more importantly (for my interests anyways) is the subtle differences between them.

I'm not expert on jerseys and game worn/used items.  So maybe these little nuances I find so interesting aren't anything to get excited about, but I'm ok with being less than informed when it comes to this stuff.  Each of the Expos jerseys I have sew the logo and "expos" lettering onto the front differently.  And the material of the logo is different.  At the bottom of this post, below the pictures of this jersey, I break down the differences.




I'm not a huge fan of the way this jersey does the "expos" and logo on the front.  On this jersey, it's all one giant patch sewn onto the jersey.  I don't know if the Expos ever did their jerseys this way, or if it's just the result of this jersey being a cheap knock-off, or "replica" as I've seen them described.  It's better than the screen printed stuff I've seen, but I still don't really care for it.




On the "1982 Home Jersey," The logo and letters are sewn on separately.  Also, the logo itself is made out of some sort of felt material.  This jersey is easily my favorite of the ones I have.  Unfortunately the company I bought it from no longer carries it.  The tagging was different as well, specifically labeling it a "1982" style/design.




On the road Expos Jersey I just picked up, the letters and logo are sewn on separately, but the logo isn't the same fuzzy one as the '82 above.




Then finally there is the game worn 1988 road jersey.  It's nearly identical to the one above, but the material is clearly of a higher quality, and even more so in person than the pictures suggest.




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Tim Wallach Authentic Russell USA made Expo's road jersey in my jersey collection that I'm looking to move. I can email photo's if you are interested.

    Frank Yardley - fyardley@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete