Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Sportlots Purchase

 www.Sportlots.com is the largest source of un-acquired Wallach cards still in existence.  Due to the sheer number of sellers and the manner in which shipping is calculated (it's not consolidated, each seller bills separately), it just isn't financially viable to take down the entire inventory (though I have significantly reduced it).

That doesn't mean I don't try though.  My current tactic, is to find a seller with a large quantity of an early 80's Topps Wallach, and then empty his entire stock.  This particular seller had forty five (45) 1982 Topps Wallach's, by far the most of any seller still offering them, so I went ahead and bought him out.  Not just of his '82 Topps Wallachs, of all of his Wallachs.

I feel it's an effective strategy.  It focuses on my favorite period of Wallach cards, isn't overwhelming in scope, and makes a decent dent in the availability of Wallach cards on Sportlots.  At somepoint there will be a very confused set collector wondering why he can't track down an '83 Topps Wallach.

 When your closing in on 500 of the same card, it doesn't take much to get you excited.  Above is one of the '82 Topps in in this purchase. It's likely the most off-centered '82 Topps Wallach that I have.  Below are two examples of '82 Topps included that have the pink spots in the upper right corner.  I've seen these pink spots before on '82 Topps Wallachs, but never this large or bright.


Also included in this lot, was what is probably the most off-centered example of '83 Topps Wallach that I have.  

Updated Totals:

1982 Topps x45: 475
1983 Donruss x4: 75
1983 Fleer x6: 90
1983 Topps x27: 197
1984 Nestle: 80
1985 Fleer x10: 58
1985 O-Pee-Chee x5: 19

No comments:

Post a Comment